Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Oatmeal and Applesauce Pancakes

I found this recipe on allrecipes.com. I went looking for something to do with one egg, because that's all I had left in my fridge. I googled "What can I make with one egg" and it brought up a page about egg substitutes and I saw applesauce was an egg sub. So, I thought, I want breakfast and pancakes sound good and I had applesauce and voila! APPLESAUCE PANCAKES. I had some with my cousin Heather a few years ago and they were so good! So, I made some, using this recipe. I almost followed it completely.

  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup quick cooking oats
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/2 cup fat free sour cream
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup milk

Heat a lightly oiled griddle over medium-low heat.
In a bowl, mix the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon. In a separate bowl, mix applesauce, sour cream, egg, and vanilla. Stir applesauce mixture and milk into the flour mixture until evenly moist and thick. Scoop about 1/4 cup batter for each pancake onto the prepared griddle, and cook, turning once, until golden brown on both sides.
I had some left over cinnamon sugar mixture that I added, it equaled just over 1/4 cup and I put in too much applesauce, so it was about 1 cup that I added. Because of the sugar I added it does make these pancakes really sweet, so next time, I'm not going to add it. These were really soft and tender so you have to be careful when you turn them. I topped them with a little butter, applesauce and maple syrup, it was so delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment