Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Beef Back Ribs

I like to go shopping at Smiths. They have a section of discount meats and I have to say that on occasion there are some real gems in there. About a month ago I found a package of Beef Back ribs for like $4.00. When I got home they went straight into the freezer and I'm making them tonight. I'm really excited about them too! I went in search of ways to cook them and I found Alton Brown's method for Baby Back Ribs intriguing, so I'm using it for my beef back ribs, because I can. You can see his recipe here: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/who-loves-ya-baby-back-recipe/index.htmlBelow is the recipe I put together.

Beef Back Ribs

Rub:
  • 8 parts brown sugar
  • 3 parts salt
  • 1 part chili powder
  • 1 part your stuff
In my stuff I put garlic powder, paprika, old bay, ginger, onion powder and pepper

Braising Liquid:

  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 2 TBS. rice wine vinegar (because it's what I had)
  • 2 TBS. soy sauce (because I didn't have worchestershire sauce)
  • 2 TBS. corn syrup (because I didn't have honey, personally I think honey would be leaps and bounds better but, I had to work with what I had)
  • 2 tsp. garlic powder

First lay down aluminum foil shiny side down and lay your rib on it. Pat your rub on to both sides of the ribs and don't be a pansy about it either. I wrapped them up in the foil, so I could open them again later, and let them rest for 1 hour. While they were resting I made the braising liquid and microwaved it for 1 minute on high. Then I poured half the liquid into each package of ribs. Then I baked them at 250 degress for 2 1/2 hours. After that I put the packages of ribs over a sauce pan and punched holes in the foil and let the liquid drain into a sauce pan. I put the sauce pan on the stove on a med/low heat and let it reduce, about half. In AB's recipe it says to brush the ribs with the sauce and then placed them on a baking sheet in the oven under the broiler and let it caramelize. Then cut the ribs into sections and toss in a bowl with some of the sauce to coat. I just drizzled a little bit of the sauce on them and then ate it with a side of mashed potatoes and a piece of bread. Really good. It was really hard to eat but, really delicious. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment